By Anthony Sepe
Each Sunday, I thank my readership for their loyalty and dedication to my blog, by providing a healthy recipe. For those that know, this is a healthy repeat, but for those that are unaware and are new to the blog, this is my way of “giving back.” It is also a way to “Pay it Forward.” Each Sunday, not only will you have a healthy recipe, but you will have an expert in the field of dietetics, food and nutrition, provide the healthy recipe to you. It is my pleasure to introduce to you this week, my friend and my colleague, Renata Oliveira Mangrum, MPH, RD , and her recipe: “Whole Orange Muffins.”
Renata Oliveira Mangrum, MPH, RD
Renata is a Registered Dietitian dedicated to making healthy lifestyles more practical and available to all people. Renata shares her thoughts and insights about nutrition, life and more at the following: http://nurturingnotes.blogspot.com.
Recipe developed and reprinted for use with permission by Renata Mangrum, MPH, RD.
Whole Orange Muffins
1. Nonstick cooking spray
2. 2 whole oranges (preferably organic)
3. 2 eggs
4. 1/2 cup canola oil
5. 2 tsp. vanilla
6. 1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
7. 2/3 cup dark brown sugar
8. 1 tsp. baking powder
9. 1 tsp. baking soda
10. 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
11. ground flaxseed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray muffin pans with nonstick cooking spray.
- Wash the oranges well. Peel only one orange. Trim off the stem side of the other orange (with the peel)
- Slice, then quarter the oranges. Remove any seeds. Chop them in a blender or food processor. Add eggs, oil and vanilla then blend until combined.
- Mix flour through cloves together in a mixing bowl. Form a well in the center of the dry mixture and pour the orange mixture into it.
- Gently fold the ingredients together until just moistened. Scoop into prepared muffin tins and sprinkle ground flaxseed on top.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Makes 12 regular muffins (or 36 mini muffins - bake for 10-14 minutes)
* Note: You can mix all the ingredients in your blender if it can handle the load and you don't mind bigger peel chunks.
Thank you for visiting today. Remember to stop by and visit Renata at the following: