By Anthony Sepe
Each Sunday, I thank my readership for their loyalty and dedication to my blog, by providing a healthy recipe. For those that know, this is a healthy repeat, but for those that are unaware and are new to the blog, this is my way of “giving back.” It is also a way to “Pay it Forward.” Each Sunday, not only will you have a healthy recipe, but you will have an expert in the field of dietetics, food and nutrition, provide the healthy recipe to you. It is my pleasure to introduce to you this week, my colleague, Shauna Del Prete, RD, CDN and her recipe: “Turkey Chili.”
Shauna Del Prete, RD, CDN
Shauna Del Prete is a registered dietitian and certified dietitian-nutritionist in the state of New York. She received an undergraduate degree in Psychology from the University of Miami and went on to receive a B.S. in Nutrition at C.W. Post Campus of Long Island University. After completing her dietetic internship at C.W. Post in 2009, Shauna began working with individuals preparing for weight loss surgery at NY Weight Management Programs where she is currently employed.
Shauna believes that every person can live and eat healthy. Her passion is coaching individuals to make small changes to achieve their health goals. Her mission is to provide realistic nutrition advice to people of all ages and backgrounds. In addition to providing traditional weight loss counseling for clients, Shauna provides counseling on disease management, sports nutrition, general wellness, and a variety of other topics.
Recipe developed and reprinted with permission of Shauna Del Prete, RD, CDN.
- 3 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1-1 ½ lbs. 93% lean ground turkey
- 1 Tbsp. each dried: coriander, cumin, oregano, chili pepper flakes, chili powder, and ground pepper
- 3 Tbsp. Tomato Paste
- 1 small chopped jalapeño pepper or 1-7 oz. can of chopped green chili pepper
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 cans kidney beans (rinsed and drained two times)
- ¾ c low sodium turkey stock
- 35 oz. canned stewed crushed tomatoes
- Low fat sour cream or 0% plain Greek yogurt
- 1 small red onion chopped
- Shredded Mexican cheese mix
- Chopped scallion
- Pour 1 ½ tbsp. EVOO in large stock pot over medium heat.
- Add turkey, tomato paste, and all dried spices.
- Cook until browned. In the meantime, heat remaining oil in pan and cook onions, pepper and garlic on medium until onions translucent.
- Add cooked vegetables to stock pot and combine remaining ingredients. Let simmer for 1 hour uncovered.
- Garnish with sour cream (I use 0% plain Greek yogurt but it may curdle in hot chili), chopped scallion, cheese, and chopped onions.
Try Shauna’s Chili and let us know how you liked it, by posting your comment back here on this post.
Thank you for reading and visiting today,