- iScrub is a blog devoted to providing news, information, and resources to the healthcare community and those it serves. Their goal is to keep hands on the pulse of the online health community and bring to you, their loyal readers, the best of what they have found. They strive to be focused in message, but informal in tone, but always enjoyment.
50 Nutrition Tips to Better Your Brain
Everything from tonics to drinks nowadays claims to have fantastic properties. Losing weight, increasing stamina, and even sexual prowess are just some of the claims made by today’s latest wonder drugs. But if looking for a simple brain boost to pass a test, make a presentation, or other task, what are the best ways to naturally increase your brain power?
Below we have gathered 50 nutrition tips to better your brain the all-natural, diet way. They include foods to get lots of, along with options to stay away from.
Drink Nutrition Tips to Better Your Brain
Drink these to better your brain.
source : intoxicologist.com
2. Coffee : That morning addiction may actually be a good thing. If headaches have got you thinking slower, grab a cup of Joe. It can also lower risk of diabetes, Parkinson’s, and colon cancer. Check out this entry from WebMD for more.
3. Milk : Loaded with calcium, protein, and other nutrients, milk has many beneficial properties. Those looking to build their brains can find that it has alpha-lactalbumin that increases plasma tryptophan availability and improves morning alertness and brain measures of attention. It also helps with sleep which can help you think better in the morning. If uncomfortable with dairy, try:
4. Almond Milk : This milk made from nuts, is lower in calories, and contains no cholesterol or lactose. Experts in modern apothecary state that the combination of potassium, magnesium, and calcium found in almond milk makes it ideal brain food meaning that daily consumption of almond milk is recommended for enhancing and retaining both memory and concentration.
5. Pomegranate Juice : Pregnant women looking to give birth to smart babies should grab a glass of this. Studies show that maternal consumption of pomegranate juice may protect the neonatal brain from damage after injury. The juice also helps with breast cancer, artery health, Alzheimer’s disease, and more.
6. Hot Cocoa : Your favorite childhood drink just might make a comeback to help better your brain. We’re not talking about the one with a cartoon rabbit on the outside, but a natural, organic variety. The unprocessed cocoa bean has loads of brain boosting powder and can be drank or used to spice up everyday meals.
7. Matcha : Also known as green tea, this is another super drink for the brain. This sort of green tea is the real deal, rather than those varieties that claim to have antioxidants or EGCG. From Japan, it actually contains the whole tea leaf along with all of the beneficial properties.
8. Red Wine : Although alcohol can certainly damage the brain, studies find that red wine can actually help protect the hippocampus from the type of damage other alcoholic drinks can cause. The journal “Neuroscience” found that rats that were given heavy amounts of red wine did not suffer memory damage when compared to rats that were given pure alcohol. However, this is no excuse to over indulge.
Produce Nutrition Tips to Better Your Brain
Grab Mother Nature’s finest products to better your brain in no time.
- 9. Acai Berries : Touted all across the world, they have even been featured on the “Oprah Winfrey” show. A recent study found the Acai berry’s antioxidant levels higher than any other tested so far, even exponentially higher than other known super foods such as blueberries. It can be drank as a juice or taken as a supplement.
10. Blueberries : This wonder fruit has a long standing history of helping with all sorts of functions, including brain. Antioxidants found in blueberries help protect the brain from free-radical damage and cut the risk of Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s diseases. They also contain fiber and manganese.
11. Spinach : Not only good for cartoon sailors, spinach can also help your brain. Neurologists have recommended eating spinach three times a week or more as a brain tonic. This blogger also includes a recipe for an excellent spinach salad.
12. Avocados : That tasty guacamole can also help your party conversation. The data from a study in rats suggested that avocado leaf aqueous extract produced its anticonvulsant effect by enhancing
action in the brain. The high content of monounsaturated fat is thought to be good for both the brain and for lowering blood pressure.
13. Beans : The grade school song proclaims beans to be good for the heart, but they can also help better your brain. Beans are rich in amino acids, omega oils, vitamins, and minerals that will definitely help to sharpen and boost your brain power. The best kind include lentils or black beans.
14. Arugula : This leafy green is closely linked to broccoli, bok choy, and brussel sprouts. The vitamin B and other nutrients found in it can help the brain function. It also helps with fighting cancer, cellular function, and more. This site shows how to prepare it.
15. Tomatoes : High in the nutrient lycopene, tomatoes can also help with brain function. According to research from Lund University, tomato genes could be used as future therapy against brain tumors. Science Daily has more.
Entree Nutrition Tips to Better Your Brain
Grab these foods as your main course to better your brain naturally.
- 16. Salmon : At the top of many “best foods for” lists, salmon is also an excellent choice to better your brain. Eating this fish as little as one to three times a month can protect against an ischemic stroke, which is caused by lack of blood supply to the brain. Salmon can also help with a wide variety of other conditions from cancer to coronary disease.
17. Mackerel : This fish can make your blood fresh and thinner, prevent heart attacks, and are also thought to be 1,500 times better than medicines bought over the counter. In addition, the omega 3 fatty acids found in this fish are what the body uses to build brain tissue. This article shows you how to prepare mackerel in a pressure cooker.
18. Sardines : Not to be outdone, these little canned fishes are also good for the brain much like the above. According to “Associated Content,” sardines are one of the few foods that contain Coenzyme Q10, a nutrient found the body’s cells. It also contains vitamin B12, selenium, omega-3 oils, protein, phosphorus, and vitamin D.
19. Eggs : An omelet made with eggs and a few of the above produce choices can be an ideal choice for a brainy breakfast. The choline found in them is a key component to building many of the body’s cells, including brain. They can also aid in weight loss and inflammation.
20. Tuna : According to “Psychology Today,” a team of California researchers has found that a diet rich in fatty oils from cold-water fish can halt the progression of dementia—even in those who may be genetically predisposed to Alzheimer’s disease. They go on to recommend at least two servings of fish per week. Simply switching one lunch a week to tuna sandwich can easily take care of one.
21. Eggplant : Vegetarians looking for a brain boosting entrée can now rejoice. The eggplant is high in fiber, potassium, and manganese. Researchers at the U.S. Agricultural Service have found that eggplants are rich sources of phenolic compounds that function as antioxidants. Plants form such compounds to protect themselves against oxidative stress from exposure to the elements.
22. Beef : According to this article, if early man had never eaten meat, our brains would be one quarter the size they are now. Beef provides vital protein, fats, and iron essential for human functions, including brain. However, there are dangers in eating too much red meat or the wrong kind.
23. Turkey : Not just a holiday meal, turkey can also be a mood elevator. It also contains antioxidants that are good for both brain and heart. Other holiday foods such as cranberries and bread crusts can also help.
24. Walnuts : Only thought of as an entrée by vegetarians, walnuts still pack plenty of brain power. They are a great source of omega 3 fatty acids that are shown to build brain cells. There have also been studies linking depression to lack of omega 3 acids.
Other Food Tips to Better Your Brain
These tips and tricks can also help increase your brain power.
- 25. Olive Oil : It is also full of the same fatty acids found in fish that can help build brain power. It can also help with heart disease, gallstone formation, and even hormone levels. Sneak some into your cooking or onto a salad.
26. Yogurt : This food is relatively high in the amino acid tyrosine, which is a neurostimulant. It is also low in the amino acids which can slow the brain. Dr. Sears has much more on the health benefits of yogurt.
27. Flaxseed Oil : If you have inattention, restlessness, and learning problems, flaxseed oil may be the answer. It is high in the omega 3 fatty acids that have been linked to bettering your brain. Vitamin C was also included in the study.
28. Chocolate : According to Science Daily, eating chocolate could help to sharpen up the mind and give a short-term boost to cognitive skills. When the chocolate is rich with flavanols, it can boost blood flow to the brain for two to three hours. Dark chocolate is the best source of this.
29. Tumeric : This spice is commonly found in curry. It contains both high levels of antioxidants and is also an anti-inflammatory. According to this article, it is no coincidence that the residents of India, who eat large amounts of turmeric, enjoy the lowest incidence of Alzheimer’s in the world.
30. Sage : Proclaimed herb of the year by the International Herb Association, sage has many natural healing properties. It contains a variety of volatile oils, and phenolic acids. It can also better your brain by increasing memory.
31. Sunflower Seeds : Looking for a snack or way to top your salad? Then try out this Vitamin B packed food to help your memory. The seeds also contain riboflavin, which also helps brain function.
32. Cinnamon : Try swapping out the sugar in your coffee for a dash of this to see if it helps your brain function. A recent research study presented at the annual meeting of the Association for Chemoreception Services in Sarasota, FL, found that merely smelling cinnamon or chewing cinnamon-flavored gum actually enhanced multiple areas of brain processing and function. It also has a host of other anti-aging and disease fighting properties.
33. Tempeh : Similar to tofu, this is another nutrition tip to better your brain. It can reduce the risk of developing dementia in the elderly, while eating tofu can actually increase it. The study was done by the University of Indonesia and others.
34. Pumpkin Seeds : If your brain is feeling clogged, a good roll in the hay just might be the cure. According to Natural News, pumpkin seeds contain the vitamins associated with libido including Vitamins B, C, D, E, and K. They are also important for brain function.
Other Nutrition Tips to Better Your Brain
Learn how, where, when, and other ways to eat to better your brain.
- 35. Vitamin Pack Your Veggies : Just because you purchase, prepare, and eat them doesn’t mean those vegetables are doing as much good for your brain as they could. An expert from WebMD shows you how to best prepare, serve, and store them. Whether or not to cook them or eat raw is also discussed.
36. Eight Glasses Means Eight Glasses : Those who go without the recommended levels of water can actually find their brain functions slowing. Water is vital to energy production in your cells and in your overall metabolism, and neurotransmission. Nerve transmission is heavily dependent upon water.
37. Fewer Calories : According to “Scientific American,” eating fewer calories can equal better brain function. Although the links between caloric restriction and longevity are still not fully proven in humans, short-term human trials have clearly shown that CR can improve many vital surrogate health markers, such as body weight, blood pressure, blood sugar and insulin levels, blood cholesterol and triglyceride levels, and measures of inflammation.
38. Folate : Not just for expectant mothers, those looking to slow their brain’s aging should look into this. The folic acid found in oranges and similar foods can better your brain. A landmark research study at the University of Wageningen, Netherlands showed that high-dose folic acid supplements taken over a long period slows the effects of aging on the brain.
39. Eat Breakfast : There’s a reason it’s called the most important meal of the day. Eating breakfast allows you to restock the energy stores that have been depleted overnight and begin the day with a tank full of the right fuel. The more balanced the breakfast, the more balanced the brain function.
40. Laugh it Up : Have a partner in cooking that makes you laugh? This can do loads of good to better your brain. Not only do you prepare nutrition the correct way, but laughter can help protect your nervous system, reduce chronic stress on your body, boost your immune system, and keep your brain active and sharp..
41. Brain Train : Need something to do while you’re nutritionally developing your brain? Then visit this site with loads of brain training programs. They include reflex test, Rubik’s cube, math game, and many others.
42. Association : Not necessarily a nutrition tip, this one however can help better your brain. Dr. Stephen Lundin gives this one tip to help understand how your brain works. Click here to read more.
Nutrition Don’ts to Better Your Brain
Stay away from these foods to keep your brain going.
- 43. Alcohol : For causing both short term and long term damage to the brain, alcohol gets the top spot. Not only does drinking impair your ability to think in the short term, consuming it regularly over long periods of time can lead to brain damage, not to mention the hurt it can put on other parts of your body. Up to 80 percent of alcoholics have a deficiency in thiamine (15), and some of these people will go on to develop serious brain disorders such as Alzheimer’s.
44. Energy Drinks : They may give you wings but at what price? The high content of sugar, calories, and caffeine can give a short term boost, but the long term effects are not worth the price. The well-known crash from energy drinks can have you thinking slower than any sluggish morning could.
45. Bad Fruit : Although there are many wonderful pieces of produce to help your brain function, picking a bad piece can do loads of damage. In addition to not delivering the promised nutrients, it can take a wild ride through your system, affecting more than just your thinking. For a guide on how to pick the best in produce click here.
46. Ice Cream : The brain freeze is just one of the reasons to stay away from ice cream. Flavors that run high in saturated fat can clog blood vessels to many organs, including the brain. This flavor from Haagen Dazs contains eleven grams of saturated fat, or over half a day’s worth, in just one measly little scoop.
47. Pancakes : If you think starting your day with these carb loaded, sugar topped cakes is a good way to start your day, a little brain power wouldn’t hurt. Breakfasts higher in protein and lower in fat are more helpful to get your day started. To learn which pancakes are the worst offenders, click here to get the calorie count of many popular types.
48. Soda : With a whole host of health problems, it is no surprise that soda can also interfere with building your brain. Too much sugar and refined carbs, as found in soda, can deprive your brain of glucose and deplete your ability to concentrate, remember, and learn. The Franklin Institute also has more on the negative impacts of soda.
49. Candy : It might give you a sugar rush and temporary high, but candy can also give you slower brain function. With loads of sugar and calories, these treats have little else to offer. To see which are the worst, check out this guide from Calorie Counter.
50. White Chocolate : Just like dark chocolate is good for you, white is bad for the brain. It is not made from the essential goodies that other chocolate is made from sugar, milk, and other artificial ingredients. It also has the same damaging properties as the above.
Disclaimer: IScrub. Carolyn Friedman. If you have any questions on the above 50 nutrition tips to better your brain, speak to a physician or licensed nutritionist. Although these tips are immensely helpful, they are no substitute for a proper diagnosis, treatment, medicines, etc. 50 Nutrition Tips to Better Your Brain