Vanilla Layer Cake with Chocolate-Ginger Frosting
- Do you have a favorite cake or dessert?
- What do you have to do to make that favorite cake or dessert healthier?
- Make those changes to your recipe and let me know how your recipe turns out
- 1 Cup + 2 Tbsp. cake flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp. 1 tsp unsalted butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 2 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 2/3 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 2 Tbsp unsweeteetened cocoa powder
- 2 Tbsp packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees; spray 2- 8” round cake pans with nonstick spray.
- To prepare the cake, in a small bowl, combine the four, baking soda, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, with an electric mixer on high, cream the granulated sugar and 2 tablespoons of the butter; add the egg and 2 teaspoons of the vanilla, beating until smooth. Gradually beat in the flour mixture alternately with the milk, until the batter is smooth. Divide the batter between the pans. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 15-17 minutes. Cool in the pan 5 minutes; remove from the pans and cool completely on a rack. Transfer 1 cake to a platter.
- Meanwhile, to prepare the frosting, in a food processor or blender, combine the ricotta, cocoa powder brown sugar, the remaining 1 teaspoon butter, ginger, and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla; blend until smooth. Spread a thing layer of frosting over the cake on the platter;top with the remaining cake, then spread the remaining frosting over the top and sides. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Calories: 122; Fat 4g; Sat Fat 2g; Trans Fat 0g; Chol 28mg; Sodium 78mg; Car 18g; Fiber 1g; Protein 4 g. Weight Watcher Points: 3
Recipe Source: Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook