Each Sunday, I thank my readership for their loyalty and dedication to my blog, by providing a healthy recipe. To those that know, this is a healthy repeat, but for those that are unaware and are new to the blog, this is my way of “giving back.” It is also a way to “Pay it Forward.” Each Sunday, you have a healthy recipe to prepare for yourself or for your loved ones. Today is an Open-Faced Burrito Pizza from Debbie Limas and Pillsbury!
- 2 T extra virgin olive Oil
- 1 can(13.8 oz.) Pillsbury refrigerated classic crust
- 1/2 chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 tsp. cumin, ground
- 1 tsp. coriander, ground
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 2 cups of cooked rice (any variety)
- 1 Tbsp. of salted or unsalted butter (Land O’Lakes)
- 1 can (4.5 0z.) green chilies
- 1 Cup fresh (refrigerated) salsa
- 1 Bag (8 0z.) shredded Mexican cheese blend (2 cups)
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh Cilantro, if desired
- 1 Cup Green Giant Valley Fresh Steams Nibblers frozen Corn, thawed, drained
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Brush 1 teaspoon of oil on a 15x12 inch cookie sheet. Unroll pizza crust dough on cookie sheet into 12x9 inch rectangle; brush with 2 teaspoons oil. Bake 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in 12-inch skillet, heat remaining 1 Tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook about 5 minutes,stirring occasionally, until onion is tender. Stir in undrained beans, cumin, coriander and pepper; cook 1 minute. Stir in rice and butter. Stir in chilies. Remove from heat; set aside.
- Using slotted spoon,spread thin layer of salsa over partially baked crust. Layer with 1/2 cup of the cheese and the bean mixture. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the cilantro, the corn and the remaining 1 1/2 cups cheese.
- Bake 20 to 30 minutes longer or until the edges of the crust are golden brown and the cheese is melted. Garnish with the remaining 1 Tablespoon of Cilantro.
Prep time: 30 minutes; Start to finish: 1 Hour; Serves: 6
Source: Debbie Limas North Andover, MA