- 1 large peach, peeled, pitted and chopped ( 1 cup)
- 1 large nectarine, peeled, pitted and chopped ( 1 cup)
- 2 medium plums, pitted and chopped ( 1 cup)
- 1 ripe large avocado, pitted, peeled and chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 Tablespoon finely chopped seeded jalapeno chile
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons cornmeal
- 1 Can ( 10.2 oz.) Pillsbury Grands Home-style refrigerated buttermilk biscuits (5 biscuits)
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into about 1x1x1/4 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup Smucker’s apricot Preserves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 5 sprigs cilantro, if desired
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. In medium bowl, lightly toss salsa ingredients until mixed; set aside.
- Place cornmeal in shallow pie plate. Separate dough into 5 biscuits; press or roll each biscuit into 5-1/2-inch round. Coat both sides of each biscuit with cornmeal; place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 10 to12 minutes or until bottoms are golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in 10-inch skillet, heat oil over medium-heat until hot. Add chicken; cook about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until chicken is no longer pink. Reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in preserves and cumin; cook 2 to3 minutes, stirring frequently, until thoroughly heated.
- To assemble carnitas, place 1 biscuit on each of 5 serving plates. Top evenly with chicken mixture and salsa. Garnish with cilantro sprig.
Source: Recipe Adapted from: 2010 Pillsbury Bake-Off 44th Contest 100 Winning Recipes; Candace McMenamin, Lexington, SC; Page 61; 5 Servings.