Roasted Vegetable Sandwiches with Zesty White Bean Spread
To show how easy it is to adapt Bittman’s concepts and recipes, we used his blueprint for a VB6 sandwich (bread + a smear + vegetables) to create this one. The cumin and coriander used to season the vegetables are common spices in a number of global cuisines, so you can take the improvisation even further and add a dollop of salsa for Mexican flair, a spoonful of chutney for an Indian twist, a dab of harissa for Moroccan flavor, etc.
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. kosher salt or sea salt
- ½ tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 large zucchini, cut diagonally into ½-inch-thick slices (1 ½ lb.)
- 2 medium red and/or yellow bell peppers, seeded, cored, and cut into eighths
- 3 small onions, cut into eighths
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
- 1 ½ cups cooked or 15-oz. can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 Tbs. lemon or lime juice
1. To make Roasted Vegetables: Preheat oven to 375°F. Stir together cumin, coriander, salt, and pepper in small bowl. Set aside.
2. Toss together zucchini, bell peppers, onions, and oil in large bowl. Add cumin mixture, and toss to coat.
3. Divide vegetables between 2 baking sheets, and roast 30 to 45 minutes, or until tender and golden brown, turning vegetables once or twice and rotating baking sheets from top to bottom. Cool.
4. To make Bean Spread: Heat oil in small skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, and cook 30 seconds to 2 minutes, or until translucent and fragrant. Add beans, and coarsely mash. Stir in 3/4 cup water, and cook 10 minutes, or until mixture is consistency of refried beans, stirring occasionally. Stir in lemon juice, and cool.
5. To assemble Sandwiches: Spread 2 Tbs. Bean Spread on each bread slice. Top 4 bread slices with 1 cup Roasted Vegetables, 2 or 3 tomato slices, and 1/2 cup arugula. Place remaining 4 bread slices on top. Cut in half to serve.
Source: Vegetarian Times: April/May 2013 p.69