- 4 slices turkey bacon, cut crosswise into 1/4 inch strips
- 2 green and/or red bell peppers, diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon marjoram
- 1 Tablespoon oregano
- 1 Teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 6 cups rinsed and drained canned great Northern beans
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast (8 ounces)
- 1/2 teaspoon jerk seasoning
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- To garnish: low fat sour cream, pico de gallo and cilantro
- In large saucepot, cook turkey bacon over medium high heat 4-5 minutes or until crisp, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to medium. Add bell peppers and onion, and cook 5-4 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in chili powder, marjoram, oregano, cumin and garlic powder, and cook 1 minute. Stir in flour, salt, cayenne pepper and black pepper.
- Add tomatoes, beans, broth and lemon juice and heat to simmering; simmer 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle both sides of chicken with jerk seasoning. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken and cook 3-4 minutes or until deep brown in color, turning once. Reduce heat to medium, and cook chicken 5-6 minutes longer or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees, turning occasionally. Cut chicken into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Ladle chili into serving bowls and top with chicken. Garnish with sour cream, pico de gallo and cilantro, if desired.
Serving Size: ( 1 1/3 cups)
305 calories, 3g fat, 1g saturated fat, 15mg cholesterol, 530mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate, 10g fiber, 22g Protein
Source: Nutritious & Delicious