By Anthony Sepe
Each Sunday, I thank my readership for their loyalty and dedication to my blog, by providing a healthy recipe. For those that know, this is a healthy repeat, but for those that are unaware and are new to the blog, this is my way of “giving back.” It is also a way to “Pay it Forward.” Each Sunday, not only will you have a healthy recipe, but you will have an expert in the field of dietetics, food and nutrition, provide the healthy recipe to you. It is my pleasure to introduce to you this week, my friend and my colleague, Tracy Stopler, M.S., RD and her recipe: “Avocado Oatmeal Cookies.”
Tracy Stopler, MS, RD
About Tracy Stopler, M.S., RD
Tracy Stopler is a registered dietitian with a Master of Science in Nutrition from New York University, and is certified by the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM). She is the nutrition director at NUTRITION E.T.C. in Plainview, Long Island. Tracy is an Adjunct Professor at Adelphi University teaching "Nutrition and Human Performance"; a guest faculty member for the ACSM Health Fitness Instructor Workshop; a guest lecturer at the Olympic Training Center in Lake Placid; and an author of over 40 abstracts, papers and book chapters in the scientific literature on the topic of nutrition and exercise.
She is the associate editor of Total Nutrition: The Only Guide You'll Ever Need: From the Mount Sinai School of Medicine; and author of Nutrition E.T.C. For The Millennium; Her latest publication was the chapter "Medical Nutritional Therapy for Anemia" in Krause's Food & Nutrition Therapy, 13th Edition. Her latest personal achievement was summiting Mt. Kilimanjaro (5756 m) in February 2008.
Her areas of expertise include: AIDS/HIV, Anemia; Diabetes; Cardiovascular Disease; Cooking Classes; Eating Disorders (anorexia/bulimia/ compulsive overeating); Fitness; General Nutrition and Wellness; High Blood Cholesterol; High Blood Pressure; Maternal and Child Health; Oncology; Sports Nutrition; Vegetarianism; and Weight Control.
©Photo: Tracy Stopler, MS, RD.
Avocado Oatmeal Cookies
You will need…
- 1 Haas Avocado
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- ½ cup splenda
- 3 egg whites (whipped til peaks form)
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup all purpose flour / 1 cup bread flour / 1 cup uncooked oatmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking soda / 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon /sprinkle of nutmeg
- (optional: chopped almonds, raisins, figs)
Step by Step…
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Beat together avocado and sugars.
- Add egg whites and extracts; beat well.
- Add combined flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg; mix well.
- Stir in oats (and almonds/raisins); mix well.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto non-greased cookie sheet.
- Baked 10 to 12 minutes.
- Cool 1 minute on cookie sheet.
Thank you for reading,