Each Sunday, I thank my readership for their loyalty and dedication to my blog, by providing a healthy recipe. To those that know, this is a healthy repeat, but for those that are unaware and are new to the blog, this is my way of “giving back.” It is also a way to “Pay it Forward.” Each Sunday, you have a healthy recipe to prepare for yourself or for your loved ones. Today is a “Mediterranean Breadsticks with Roasted Red Pepper Coulis” Recipe” from Sonalee Trivedi, and Pillsbury in honor of Mediterranean Month for May.
- 2 T. Land O Lakes unsalted or salted Butter
- 1 T. pure Olive Oil
- 1 large onion, cut into 1/8 inch slices about 2 cups
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup drained sun-dried tomatoes in oil, cut into 1/8 inch slices
- 1/4 cup feta cheese (1 0z.)
- 2 Cans (11 0z.) each Pillsbury refrigerated original breadsticks (24 breadsticks)
- 1/2 Cup drained roasted red bell peppers (from 7 oz. jar)
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 10 fresh basil leaves, chopped ( about 2 Tablespoons)
- 2 T. pure olive oil
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Heat 10-inch skillet over medium -high heat. Add butter and 1 T. oil; heat until butter is melted. Add onion; cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in sugar and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onion is soft and golden brown. Remove from heat. Stir in tomatoes and cheese. Set aside.
- Unroll breadstick dough into 2 -sections. Separate breadsticks, leaving pairs of breadsticks together. Spread about 2 teaspoons onion mixture evenly over each pair of breadsticks. For each pair, fold breadsticks together lengthwise; pinch edges of to seal. Twist stuffed breadsticks 3 times; place 1-inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in food processor or blender, place red peppers, 1/4 teaspoon salt and basil. With food processor running, slowly pour 2 tablespoons oil through feed tube; process until well- blended. Serve coulis with warm breadsticks.