Thursday, February 5, 2009

What do you think?

Mushrooms Cut Grapefruit/Drug Effect

Edible Mushrooms Absorb Drug-Altering Chemicals From Grapefruit Juice

By Daniel J. DeNoon
WebMD Health News

Reviewed by Louise Chang, MD

Feb. 3, 2009 - Edible mushrooms counteract the medication-altering effects of grapefruit juice, USDA researchers report.

Aside from being tasty, grapefruit juice is pretty darn good for you. It's full of antioxidants and other beneficial compounds. There's some evidence it may even help protect against cancer and heart disease.

But there's a downside to grapefruit juice. It carries a class of compounds that inhibit the liver enzymes your body needs to eliminate many widely used medications. This grapefruit/drug interaction increases the risk of drug side effects.

Recently, USDA researcher Kyung Myung, PhD, and colleagues found that an inedible fungus somehow absorbs the compounds responsible for the grapefruit/drug interaction.

Now Myung's team has found that an edible mushroom -- Morchella esculenta, better known as the yellow morel -- does the same thing. And, to a slightly lesser extent, so do other edible fungi. So far, the list includes an oyster mushroom variant, red yeast, and even the common button mushroom.

The USDA researchers macerated the mushrooms and killed them by heating them to 250 degrees Fahrenheit. Then they vacuum-filtered the mushroom mash and mixed them with either fresh grapefruit juice or grapefruit juice made from concentrate.

At the highest concentration tested -- about two-thirds of a tablespoon of yellow morel mushroom per 1.7 ounces of juice -- most of the target compounds were removed from grapefruit juice. Lesser effects were seen with the other fungi.

Separate experiments showed that mushrooms didn't remove all of the unwanted compounds from grapefruit juice. The treated juice still had more interactions with liver enzymes than orange juice. But the treated juice was only about half as active as untreated grapefruit juice.

However, Myung and colleagues did not report on how the grapefruit juice tasted after they (presumably) strained off the mushroom mash.

The findings appear in the Nov. 14, 2008, issue of the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry.

View Article Sources Sources

SOURCES:

Myung, K. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, Nov. 14, 2008; vol 56: pp 12064-12068.

News release, American Chemical Society.

© 2009 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.

2 comments:

  1. This is a great blog and full of information that many can use to their benefit.

    My husband suffered from liver failure, and it was difficult to control his diet. Proteins were limited...I could have used your help! Unfortunately, he passed away in July of 2007. He loved grapefruit juice, but it interfered with his medication. Knowing this, I was very interested in your article.

    Thank you for sharing this information, and know I will return to read your other posts.
    It's nice to meet you.(smile)....Mattie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mattie,
    I'm very sorry about your husband and the pain that he and you have endured. He is now at peace in our Lord's hands.

    Thank you for your kind comments about this blog. I'm thrilled to know you like the blog and are following. If you have topics of interest that you would like to see covered here, please feel free to share your ideas with me. In addition, you can also share your suggestions, ideas or comments on my website too. And, there is a guest book on each page that has different questions as well. The website address: http://www.anthonyjsepe.com

    Thanks again for posting! :)
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

    ReplyDelete